Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Summer Is For Embarassing Yourself With The Windows Down

Now that it's warm outside, I've taken to rolling my windows down and pumping my iPod a lot more.  I love my Sirius radio and all, but who wants to listen to Howard Stern when it's sunny out?   The man is a walking cloudy day.  Like, if someone asked me to draw what a shitty day would look like were it given human form: Howard Stern. 

It's important to have the right music in this kind of situation, and my album of choice lately seems to be Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavillion.  I realize that if even one more word is published about this album on the internet that computers throughout the world will collapse in on themselves like a collapsed star, but: the album is awesome.

I know, eloquent, right?  My relationship with Animal Collective before MPP was love-hate at best.  Really, it was mostly hate.  Fireworks was an okay song, but I found most of the rest of their work to be overindulgent, repetitive, and grating.  Their hype was, to me, overzealous at best, and a perfect example of the internet indie music mind hive at its worst.  But then they released MPP in January, and I pretty much loved it instantly.  Of course, I hated myself for loving it, but I could not deny it's quality.  The band had taken everything that I hated about their previous work (the fact that the songs went on for way too long, the constant yelping, the lack of any discernable cohesiveness)  and refined it into this melodic, nuanced record. Parts of it are still annoying, but for the most part, it's this surprising, enjoyable work of art each and every time I listen to it.
 
So here we are at the end of May, and I still haven't taken it out of heavy rotation.  I can't help myself; it's infectious grooves and techno beats are just as perfect for this month's sunny days as they were for February's dismally cold ones.   What really sells me are the flawless melodies.  What sounds like a bunch of unrelated pieces often come together to make awesome music.

It's difficult to choose a favorite track from the album, but I can keep myself to two:

Guy's Eyes:



Brother Sport (I can't find a copy of the album version online, which is sad because it is awesome):





No comments: